Whilst Australia gathers to remember past and present service men & women in a different way than we are used to, we know the ANZAC spirit is as alive as ever. In lieu of gathering with friends and family to pay your respects, why not bake the famous and delicious The Country Women’s Association of Victoria Inc. – CWA ANZAC biscuits at home! Use the hashtag #cwaofvicanzac on Facebook to share your creations.
Head to the CWA website to read about the contribution of members during World War II.
– 1 cup rolled oats
– 1 cup desiccated coconut
– 1 cup plain flour
– 1 cup white sugar
– 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
– 125g butter
– 1 tbsp golden syrup
– 1 tsp bicarb soda
– 2 tbsp boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 180C, line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. Place the oats, coconut, sifted flour, sugar and salt into a bowl. Mix well.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add golden syrup, bicarbonate of soda and the boiling water to the saucepan. Stir well.
4. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well.
Boil together the butter, water and golden syrup, then add the bicarb soda.
5. Place spoonfuls of mixture onto the lined trays and bake for 10-12 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and loosen biscuits on tray with a knife or spatula. Allow to cool on tray and enjoy!