5-WEEK ONLINE PROGRAM: Scratch Coding for Kids
July 15 @ 7:00 am - August 12 @ 11:59 pmFREE
The Melton City Council Learning Directory are proud to present Scratch Programming for Kids – 5 weeks of Scratch block programming language taught by STEMBirds
These interactive online sessions will run weekly, for 5 weeks starting 7am Wednesday 15 July. Sessions will be accessible via our YouTube channel, so you can catch them at any time.
- Week 1: Intro to Desktop Scratch Coding
- Learn to make a simple Maze Game. Get familiar with the sprites, backdrops, costumes, block palettes in scratch .
- Week 2: Make an Apple Catcher Game with Scratch Coding
- While making this game children will learn programming concepts like sequence, conditional statements, loops, X-Y coordinate systems and variables.
- Week 3: Make a Pong Game with Scratch Coding
- While making this game children will learn programming concepts like sequences, conditional statements, how to animate your sprite, loops, movement of sprite in X-Y coordinate systems, variables and how to make the game more challenging.
- Week 4: Draw Polygons and make Sprites Clones with Scratch Coding
- While making this game children will learn new programming concepts including drawing with sprites, how to use the PEN palette, how to make clones of sprites and loops.
- Week 5: Make a Fish Game with Scratch Coding
- While making this game children will learn programming concepts like sequences, conditional statements, loops, variables and how to make clones of the sprite and program them.
Shalaka from STEMBirds will talk your child through each session, while they follow along on screen. STEM Birds’ mission is to create a fun and engaging platform where children not only learn to program, but also have opportunities to be creative using code. These programs are suitable for children aged 6-15 years.
The scratch block program is completed on a laptop. Parents/children can download the scratch program from the link below or can do it online on the scratch website itself.
- Download the Program: https://scratch.mit.edu/download
- Do it Online: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/editor/?tutorial=getStarted
Don’t forget that all of our online content is available from 7am on the day it’s published. After that, you can watch it at any time, forever!