Welcome back to the Melton City Council Learning Directory YouTube Channel!
Today we are joined once again by Council officer Carly from Kurunjang Community Hub who will be celebrating her Italian heritage by showing you how to make her easy Italian Style Chicken Soup! This delicious winter warmer will become a favourite in your household over the cooler months.
4 Celery stalks
2 bay leaves
2-4 garlic cloves
Risoni pasta (quantity as need)
Bunch of parsley
Rind of parmigiano Reggiano cheese (or similar)
2 chicken Maryland (Chicken carcass or a few drumsticks can be used in place of marylands)
1. Chop up all your veggies (small or large pieces are fine)
2. Season your pieces of chicken and heat a teaspoon of oil in the soup pot
3. Place your chicken pieces into the pot, skin side down along with your bay leaves, peppercorns, garlic and onions
4. Sweat the aromatics off and brown the chicken on both sides.
5. Add the carrots, celery & potatoes, mix those through and sweat off for a minute or 2.
6. Top the pot up with water and add a bunch of parsley (whole or chopped up) – and let it come to the boil
7. Once its come to the boil, turn the stove down to a low-medium heat and let the soup simmer for approx. 1 hour
8. After an hour, check on the stock and skin any impurities from the top of the soup and season with approx. tablespoon of salt (salt to taste)
9. Check the soup half hourly, skim any impurities as they come to the surface, and adjust seasoning as it cooks down.
10. Cook the soup for approx. 2.5-3 hours in total
11. About half an hour before you are ready to serve, remove all of the chicken pieces and take all the meat off the bones and remove the bones & chicken skin from the soup.
12. Return the meat to the soup.
13. While the meat is cooking into the soup, boil up some risoni as per cooking instructions on the box
14. Once the risoni is cooked, remove the soup from the stove and serve up your soup with a few spoonful’s of risoni.
15. Top with fresh parsley & grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and enjoy!
Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MeltonLearni...
Visit our website: https://meltonlearning.com.au/